Mattermost, Inc. is a company based on the Mattermost open source project. Mattermost software is used by thousands of organizations around the world in 16 languages.
Our mission is to make the world more safe and productive by developing and delivering secure, open source collaboration software that is trusted, flexible and offers fast time-to-value.
Leadership principles are deliberate choices defining our behavior. When facing complexity, uncertainty, or ambiguity (CUA) we determine our point of view and our actions through the lens of our values:
- Customer Obsession - We exist to make customers successful. In everything we do, start with customer perspective and work backwards. Earn and keep their trust.
- Ownership - Own the outcomes of your activity. Don’t drop the ball. When we see a vacuum on something important, we jump in–we never say “it’s not my job.”
- High Impact - Figure out what matters most, and focus on those priorities. When deciding to work on low impact or high impact projects, choose high impact.
- Self-Awareness - We understand and seek to understand our strengths and growth opportunities, as individuals and organizations. We are open to critique and share critique constructively and respectfully.
- Insist on High Standards — Have relentless high standards. Continually raise the bar for high-quality products and processes.
- Earn Trust — Make decisions based on maximizing the trust of others in your judgement. Be open, self-critical and factual.
Mattermost Team Edition under MIT license and the Mattermost open source projects under various licenses are maintained by core committers, including both staff from Mattermost, Inc. and volunteer contributors from the Mattermost user and customer communities.
Mattermost Enterprise Editions, which are commercial extensions built on top of the Mattermost open source projects, are developed, supported and sold by Mattermost, Inc.
For more information, see our Product Overview.
Mattermost is an open source, remote-first, communities-centered company based in Palo Alto, California and headquartered on the internet.
Open source means that by default we make our technology, business process and source code available to the public. We develop a small portion as proprietary technology, built upon our open source work, to license for subscription fees that enable more high quality open source work to be produced. Since the start of the Mattermost open source project in 2015, we have used this model to develop effective open source solutions for the world to use. This model is sometimes called Thin Open Core.
Remote-first means that by default our staff works anywhere in the world where a) we have support for quality video calling and b) where we can work in a legally appropriate environment. Mattermost was born in an extraordinary age where organizations can attract, hire and enable remote teams–working from homes, coffee shops and co-working spaces across timezones–to produce better technology and business results in less time than purely office-based teams, while maintaining security and compliance standards.
Remote-first culture flourishes when we share one simple principle: Courtesy. Courtesy means Mattermosters are thoughtful about keeping our communities appropriately informed, following etiquette for discussions, calls and video meetings, and giving and receiving feedback on how to work better together. Courtesy also means we gladly accommodate those who prefer to work out of a dedicated office. We are remote-first, not remote-only.
Communities-centered means we define our success in the context of the success of our communities: users, customers, implementers, resellers, technology partners, contributors, and colleagues. The success of each community is owned by a member of the Mattermost leadership team. The plural definition of “communities” is intended to avoid unconsciously marginalizing downstream stakeholders.
Based in Palo Alto, California and headquartered on the internet means the mailing address for Mattermost, Inc. is in Palo Alto, California, and our headquarters is on the internet, specifically the Mattermost instance at https://community.mattermost.com. Our online headquarters is where Mattermost staff work with our communities of colleagues, users, partners, customers and contributors, to envision, develop and refine new open source technologies to make the world safer and more productive. Staff at headquarters, working in an open source, remote-first, communities-centered company, are “Mattermosters”. Staff who choose to work from an office are called “Commuters”.