This document outlines some of the procedures and materials in developing an effective case study for Mattermost software. This template can be used both to describe deployments of the open source Mattermost Team Edition or commercial deployments with Mattermost Enterprise Edition. We’re delighted to hear everyone’s story and to share it with the community.
Case Study Process¶
For Mattermost Enterprise Edition customers, Mattermost, Inc. is excited to bring attention to your company and how it’s benefiting from using Mattermost.
The process is approximately as follows:
- Customer has completed a deployment of Mattermost and is open to a case study.
- Customer case study contact is introduced to a Mattermost case study coordinator over email and completes a questionnaire (below).
- Mattermost case study coordinator arranges a 30-minute phone or video call with the customer for a discussion around the questionnaire and deployment.
- One to two weeks later a draft case study is sent to the customer for review and approval (in a shared Google document).
- Mattermost case study coordinator and case study owner take turns to politely follow up with the customer either the day before the customer has stated that the review will be ready, in order to confirm that the review is coming, or approximately every 2 business days if an estimate of the draft case study review time is not known.
- In follow-up emails, it is important to take into consideration what can be done for the customer, rather than what the customer can do for us, e.g. “Circling back to see if there is anything I can do to help the case study review proceed more smoothly? Happy to help, just let me know.”
- Mattermost case study coordinator:
- Commissions a banner to be featured in the case study blog post. Please see “Marketing: Graphics” channel for examples on how to commission banners.
- Creates a draft blog post in WordPress. The draft is then reviewed for formatting, grammar, and other style guidelines.
- When the customer has completed a review of the draft case study and approved it, the customer feedback is incorporated into the draft blog post (in Wordpress).
- A link to the final draft of the blog post is sent to the customer prior to publishing it (using preview mode in WordPress).
- The blog post is then published and may be used in other marketing materials to share the benefits of a Mattermost solution with other potential customers.
The below customer questionnaire template helps us gather information to share with the Mattermost community on your business, your needs, and how Mattermost can help serve your organization.
We’d love your help answering some of these questions, either in email or over a phone call or video conference, to prepare a Case Study draft for your organization’s review and approval.
Please contact your Mattermost marketing contact to get started.
Help us understand your current company’s challenges and goals, and how they fit into the landscape of your industry.
- How long have you been in business?
- How many employees do you have?
- What are some of the objectives of your department at this time?
Please help share some context on the need for a solution.
- What challenges and objectives led you to look for a solution?
- What might have happened if you did not identify a solution?
- Did you explore other solutions prior to this that did not work out? If so, what happened?
Help us understand how you arrived at a decision to use Mattermost (this will help other potential customers through their own process).
- How did you hear about our product or service?
- Who was involved in the selection process?
- What was most important to you when evaluating your options?
We’re very interested in learning about your on-boarding procedure.
- How long did it take to get up and running?
- Did that meet your expectations?
- Who was involved in the process?
Solution in Action¶
Please share how the solution is used today.
- Is there a particular aspect of the product or service that you rely on most?
- Who is using the product or service?
- What are some of the top use cases for the solution?
Please share the most impressive measurable outcomes you can think of–the more numbers, the better.
- How is the product or service helping you save time and increase productivity?
- In what ways does that enhance your competitive advantage?
- How much have you increased key metrics, such as reducing response time, time-to-resolution, and reducing time spent in meetings?
If you’re completing the questionnaire by email, please send a copy of the questions completed above to your Mattermost marketing contact for next steps.
Thank you so much for being part of our community!
Case Study Interview Process¶
- The call will take place after the customer case study contact has completed the above questionnaire.
- The case study writer should also be on the call.
- At the beginning of the call, the customer is asked if they’re in agreement that the interview be recorded to ensure accurate note-taking. Once agreed, the interview is then recorded via Zoom and the recording is transcribed after the call.
- A draft of the case study, in appropriate format, is sent to the customer for review 1-2 weeks after the call.
- DO NOT use slang or jargon. Write so that people with English as a second language can understand every sentence.
- DO NOT criticize the competition or disparage other products. It’s okay to factually address differences on why Mattermost was selected.
- DO NOT mention staff size if less than 250 people.
- DO NOT use hyperbole (e.g. “game changing”).
Written Case Study Lay Out¶
Follow these steps to write a case study that is clear and concise:
- Title: Highlight the most compelling use case and/or business benefit from Results section (see step #6 below).
- Executive Summary:
- Open with a sentence on how the organization transformed after using Mattermost.
- Include the most important points of the story.
- Organization (3-5 sentences):
- Introduce the customer and their industry, framing their relevance and impact on the world in the first 1 or 2 sentences.
- Optionally include a sentence with facts about the company such as location and founding date at the end of this section.
- 1-2 sentences on the problem(s) the company faced before using Mattermost. Then elaborate on the consequences of the problem, including quotations as appropriate.
- One sentence on the goal they sought to achieve and criteria for a solution (which may introduce new requirements not included in the previous section, e.g. budget, timeline, expanding user base, etc.).
- Solutions: Describes how Mattermost provided a solution to the customer’s goal and addressed its challenges.
- Include 3-5 specific use cases with clear business value (e.g. incident response, new employee Q&A center, etc.).
- Include business benefits that do one of three things i) increase revenue, ii) decrease cost, iii) drive efficiency.
- Add customer testimonials that show how Mattermost helped achieve the customer’s goals. Include specific examples and quotations.
These Case Study procedures draw heavily from Hubspot’s How to Write a Case Study article.