Mattermost’s open source Zoom plugin enables users to start and join voice, video and screensharing meetings using either Zoom’s self-hosted private cloud or on-prem solutions, or its vendor-hosted SaaS solution.
The plugin is installed by default and can be quickly activated.
Once enabled, clicking a video icon in a Mattermost channel invites team members to join a Zoom call, hosted using the credentials of the user who initiated the call.
Using other voice, video and screensharing services
The open source Zoom plugin can be extended to launch other voice, video and screensharing systems, including custom self-hosted services and vendor-hosted SaaS services such as Skype and Google Hangouts, depending on your needs.
The following outlines the steps for enabling Zoom.
Zoom Setup Guide¶
- Go to System Console > Plugins > Zoom to configure the Zoom Plugin.
- If you’re using a self-hosted private cloud or on-premise Zoom server, enter the Zoom URL and Zoom API URL for the Zoom server, for example
https://api.yourzoom.com/v2respectively. Leave blank if you’re using Zoom’s vendor-hosted SaaS service.
- Set the API Key and API Secret, generated by Zoom and used to create meetings and pull user data:
- Go to https://developer.zoom.us/me/ and log in.
- Switch to the API tab and click Enable, if not already enabled.
- Switch back to the API tab and copy the API Key and API Secret.
- Paste the API Key and API Secret into the fields in the System Console, and hit Save.
To generate an API Key and API Secret requires a Pro, Business, Education, or API Zoom plan.
Only one paid account is required to generate an API Key and API Secret. The free Zoom plan can be used for other user accounts.
- Next, copy the webhook URL above the Save button, which is used to configure the plugin in Zoom:
- Switch to the Webhook tab in https://developer.zoom.us/me/ and enter
https://SITEURL/plugins/zoom/webhook?secret=WEBHOOKSECRETas the Endpoint.
- Enter the username and password of the Zoom developer account.
- Hit Save.
Before pasting the webhook URL into Zoom, make sure to replace
SITEURL with the site URL of your Mattermost instance, and
WEBHOOKSECRET with the secret generated in System Console > Webhook Secret.
- Enable settings for overriding usernames and overriding profile picture icons.
- Activate the plugin at System Console > Plugins > Management by clicking Activate for Zoom.
Once activated, you will see a video icon in the channel header. Clicking the icon will open a drop-down menu with three actions you can take: Start Zoom Meeting Now, Start Zoom Meeting with Topic, and Share Zoom Meeting.
Users will need to sign-up for their own Zoom account using the same email address that they use for Mattermost. If the user attempts to start a Zoom meeting without a Zoom account, they will see the following error message: “We could not verify your Mattermost account in Zoom. Please ensure that your Mattermost email address matches your Zoom email address.” In addition, the user must be added to the admin’s Zoom account to quickly start a meeting without having to share a personal meeting ID.