Mattermost supports interactive messages for incoming and outgoing webhooks, custom slash commands and plugins via actions. They help make your integrations richer by completing common tasks inside Mattermost conversations, increasing user engagement and productivity.
Use interactive messages to simplify complex workflows by allowing users to take quick actions directly through your integration post. For example, they enable your integration to:
- mark a task complete in your project management tracker
- conduct a customer survey or a poll
- initiate a command to merge a branch into a release
To try it out, you can use this matterpoll plugin to add polling to Mattermost channels via a
/poll slash command.
Tips and Best Practices¶
- The external application may be written in any programming language. It needs to provide a URL which receives the request sent by your Mattermost server and responds with in the required JSON format.
- To get started, you can use this sample plugin to add polling to Mattermost channels via a /poll slash command.
Like Slack, actions are specified in an “actions” list within the message attachment. Moreover, your integrations can react with ephemeral messages or message updates similar to Slack.
However, the schema for these objects is slightly different given Slack requires a Slack App and action URL to be pre-configured beforehand. Mattermost instead allows an integration to create an interactive message without pre-configuration.