There are several ways to customize your Mattermost server.
If customizing Mattermost, please avoid branding that could be confused with the Mattermost brand. For example, it’s okay to brand as “Healthcare Central” because it’s a completely different brand. “Mattermost Healthcare Central” is not okay, because it can potentially be confused with the Mattermost brand. Please see the Mattermost trademark guidelines for details.
While you’re welcome to add your own copyright notice in the user interface if you feel it is warranted by your changes, we ask that you do not remove the Mattermost, Inc. copyright notice from the login footer or from the About dialog.
The Mattermost webapp is licensed under the Apache 2.0 license. To modify and use with the Mattermost server, you can:
- Install the Mattermost server by following one of our installation guides
- Fork the mattermost-webapp repository
- Make your changes
make packageto create
mattermost-webapp-tar.gzto the location Mattermost was installed in Step 1
- Remove the existing
tar -xvf mattermost-webapp.tar.gzto extract your new customized
- Restart your Mattermost server
It is possible to customize certain parts of the webapp without forking by using our Custom Branding settings.
To replace the logo in email notifications, change the file located in the
/images directory. To change the app icon, modify the
There are a few things that can be customized in the Mattermost server without forking.
- Modify text in the Mattermost interface by modifying the
- Customize or hide help and support links by modifying your configuration settings
- Customize the email notifications by editing the HTML files in
Mattermost Mobile Applications¶
The Mattermost mobile applications can be customized if you choose to build the apps yourself.
To brand the mobile apps:
- Fork the mattermost-mobile repository
- Replace the name, images, and any key text strings
- Compile the apps
- Deploy the apps to an app store
While most organizations deploy to internal enterprise app stores, you are welcome to deploy to iTunes and Google Play as long as the branding is not confusable with official Mattermost products.
Mattermost Desktop Applications¶
The Mattermost desktop applications can be customized if you choose to build the apps yourself.
To brand the desktop apps: